Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Salt Snob

In 2007, I visited a salt plantation in La Rochelle, France. It was one of those gourmet squatter jaunts that pop up out of nowhere. Anyway, I got a couple bags of salt to take home. One had coarse, gray nuggets that I sprinkled on my organic ground sirloin and pearly racks of lamb and the other was like little speckles of broken, white diamonds I used on salads or to enliven my dips (The peppadew cream cheese is simply amazing). I broke up with Morton and became quite the salt snob. But last night, I used the last of it. Another beautiful relationship ended as I doubt I will be returning to La Rochelle to buy salt anytime soon. Aaaah, but what an intoxicating affair.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know if salt is a concern of mine at this point -- though your descriptions truly make me feel as if I should learn more about it, I'll admit.
    Nevertheless, I guess that all I'm trying to do is ask you if you know any great restaurants in NYC that can provide me a great experience (and great food, of course) without pulverizing my wallet. It is evident that you know your food! Ha!

    Cheers! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you kidding? NYC is a harem of amazing gourmet squatter finds. I lived there for many years and miss the food scene very, very much. One of my favorite places to go to in NYC is Di Palo. It's an amazing Italian grocery store in Little Italy that sells Sicilian salami, silky, Italian ham, Crucolo cheese and other amazing treats. They give you FREE samples while you wait. It's not a restaurant, but it's a great place to stock up on amazing Italian cold cuts, breads and other yummy delicacies. Here's the info: 200 Grand Street New York, NY 10013-3712 (212) 226-1033 Does this help? Glad you love the blog:) Look forward to getting your feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luca:

    I also took the liberty of posting New York Magazine's Cheap Eats Guide. I read the mag pretty fanatically though I don't live in NY. I try to check out their recommendations when I'm in town. I hope this helps too:

    http://nymag.com/restaurants/cheapeats/2011/

    ReplyDelete